The PCGen project has email lists for users, for source file authors, and for programmers who wish to create PCGen file viewers for handhelds and palmtops. Join the list(s) appropriate to your level of involvement in the project:
- PCGen - The main group for PCGen news, discussion and fun!
- PCGen Developers - Group for the coders of PCGen
- Experimental - Group for PCGen data developers and for most new PCGen-released datasets
- LST File Class - Group for tutorials on how to edit PCGen LST files
- PCGen List File Help - Group for questions on PCGen LST files and docs
- PCGenView - Group for Palm program to display the PCGen characters
- PCGScry - Group for Pocket PC program to display the PCGen characters
- PCGen-XML - Group for design of future XML schema for PCGen
- PCGen International - Group for Development of non-English Content for PCGen
It is important to send your question to the appropriate mailing list. For example, an issue pertaining to a list file design problem should be directed to the PCGenListFileHelp list, not the PCGenView list.
Listed below are answers to the most common questions pertaining to YahooGroups' mailing lists. For complete instructions on using the YahooGroups email lists, consult the YahooGroups Help.
Subscribing To A Mailing List
- Locate a group to join. On the front page of YahooGroups, you can browse the Groups directory or search for a group by topic.
- Click on the Join This Group button on front page of any group.
- If you are not signed in, you will be asked to enter your Yahoo ID. If you do not have a Yahoo ID, you can click on the link New to Yahoo? Sign up now.
- Set your membership preferences. When you join, you can choose a profile you'd like to display to the group, select the email address at which you'd like to receive group messages, choose how you receive group messages, and more.
Posting To A Mailing List
When posting to the PCGen lists on YahooGroups, your message will be more likely to attract the attention of the appropriate individuals if you clearly label its subject:
- Bugs: The title of the post should start with [BUG], and the body of the post should contain the version of PCGen, your operating system version, and a step-by-step process to duplicate the bug.
- Feature Requests: The title of the post should start with [FREQ] (abbreviation for feature request). Specific suggestions or requests are welcomed and appreciated.
- Documentation: The title of the post should start with [DOC] if you are requesting clarification of documentation or if you have any suggestions about improving the documentation.
- Output/Character Sheets: The title of the post should start with [OS] if you're commenting about the output sheets and want to make sure that the output sheet programmers notice your post.
- Web Site: The title of the post should start with [WEB] if you're commenting about the PCGen home page located at http://pcgen.sourceforge.net/.
You can post messages to your group by email or from the YahooGroups web site:
To send a message to other group members, create an email and address it to firstname.lastname@example.org, substituting the actual name of your group for "groupname." Group names are not case sensitive.
Note: you can only post to groups you've joined, and only from email addresses registered with YahooGroups. If you misspell the name of a group, or attempt to send an email from an account other than the one you joined under, your message will not be delivered. If you receive a failure notice, check your email addresses and try again.
Via the YahooGroups Web Site
After you've signed in, go to the group you wish to post to, click Post, write your message, and then click Send Message.
Note: YahooGroups restricts messages to 1 megabyte in size to prevent abuse.
Managing Your Subscription Preferences
As a YahooGroups member, you can customize your individual preferences and manage the email addresses you use for subscriptions. Simply click on the My Email Preferences link on the My Groups page.
Note: You must be signed in with your Yahoo ID in order to access your preferences.
Unsubscription (Leaving A Mailing List)
In order to unsubscribe from a mailing list:
- Sign in to YahooGroups and go to the My Groups page.
- Click on the Edit My Groups link at the top of the page.
- Look for the group you wish to leave, and check the corresponding box on the right side of the page.
- Click Save Changes at the bottom or top of the page.
The group will no longer be listed on the My Groups page, and you will no longer receive messages.